love pirates? here’s some vocabulary. start practicing huh?
* Ahoy: Hey!
* Avast: Stop!
* Aye: Yes
* Black spot: to be ‘placin’ the black spot’ be markin’ someone for death.
* Booty: treasure
* Buccanneer: a pirate who be answerin’ to no man or blasted government.
* By the Powers!: an exclamation, uttered by Long John Silver in Treasure Island!
* Cat o’ nine tails: whip for floggin’ mutineers
* Corsair: a pirate who be makin’ his berth in the Med-…Medi-…that sea ‘tween Spain and Africa, aye!
* Davy Jones’ Locker: the bottom o’ the sea, where the souls of dead men lie
* Doubloons: pieces of gold…
* Fiddlers Green: the private heaven where pirates be goin’ when they die.
* Furner: a ship which be yer own, not one ye steal an’ plunder.
* Gentlemen o’ fortune: a slightly more positive term fer pirates!
* Go on the account: to embark on a piratical cruise
* Grog: A pirate’s favorite drink.
* Jack: a flag or a sailor
* Jolly Roger: the skull and crossbones, the pirate flag!
* Keelhaul: a truly vicious punishment where a scurvy dog be tied to a rope and dragged along the barnacle-encrusted bottom of a ship. They not be survivin’ this.
* Landlubber: “Land-lover,” someone not used to life onboard a ship.
* Lass: A woman.
* Lily-livered: faint o’ heart
* Loaded to the Gunwales (pron. gunnels): drunk
* Matey: A shipmate or a friend.
* Me hearty: a friend or shipmate.
* Me: My.
* Pieces o’ eight: pieces o’ silver which can be cut into eights to be givin’ small change.
* Privateer: a pirate officially sanctioned by a national power
* Scallywag: A bad person. A scoundrel.